Startup.com and its Struggles

Unfortunately, I was sick during the class day that we watched this. And the class before. And the class after. I felt as if I was ready to go to class but I was far too dizzy to let myself get behind the wheel of a car. Now, fortunately, one of the many Davids in the class sent me the URL to watch the video at home. The first thing I noticed was the title on YouTube. Now I’m not sure this was the correct video but I thought “Full Documentary From Docshit.com” was very fitting for this class. As I’ve said before, in this class we are treated like adults and I’m very thankful for that.

Even though I would have been 7 years old at the time of this documentary, watching this I felt as if I could have been watching something from 50 years ago. Until this class, I didn’t know that tech companies spiked as drastically as they did. I thought the only bubble that’s happened in my lifetime was the housing bubble. During this documentary I watched a company with maybe not the greatest idea in the world shoot from only a handful of employees to two hundred and something then plumet back down to 50 in only a few years. I’m sure there were several reasons this happened, both internally and externally, but there was one problem that stood out to me the most since it was easily fixable. In the company that I co-founded I am the VP of Technology. I am very proud of that and it’s a role I hope to prove to everybody that I deserve. That being said, if ever we hit the point where I’m no longer capable enough to be at the top I will gladly step aside and let somebody more able take over. This may sound very selfless but trust me when I say it is not. If anybody hits that point they have to look at their options and the potential outcomes. The first option is to dig your feet in the ground and maintain your position. The first and most likely possible outcome is the one that happened in the movie. You get fired. For the company, this is the best option. The second possibility is that you stunt the growth of the company. This may not have horrible implications other than growing much slower but it could also cause the company to miss every possible window they need to survive and would cause them to crash and burn into a fiery blaze. All of these possibilities leave you with little to no money and no room for any kind of improvement. The other option you would be given is to step aside. You could maintain ownership, keep a seat on the board, and maybe take a move big picture role. With this option your pride may be hurt but never-the-less the company will grow and so will your wallet and your professional reputation. In this aspect I’m not selfless, I’m calculated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Three Business Ideas

How I Plan to Price My Service

One Panel at the South Sound Technology Conference