Dot.com to Dot.Bomb


Unfortunately, I don't think I could come up with a more creative title than the one we were already given. All in all, this was very entertaining. If you actually read this Andrew, I want you to know that while you were giving the presentation, I took a picture and sent it to my girlfriend who thought it was the most creative and endearing thing she’s seen a college level instructor do.

As a matter of fact, I wrote in my instructor review that I’m really thankful that Andrew Fry actually treated us like adults and this class was no exception. He was able to find an entertaining, yet on topic medium to show and explain an otherwise potentially dry topic. This is the type of thing that spreads the reputation of both a class everybody wants to take as well as an instructor everybody wants to take classes from.

Excluding the case of AOL, which I think at this point in time is barely creeping along, I think the use of dinosaurs to explain them was very fitting. As was described in class, the purpose of the dinosaur representation was because all of the tech companies talked about were long dead. The more we learned about it the more I thought it was fitting that they should die. Something like the internet should be able to grow quickly and like almost all things in nature, shed what is old to allow for what’s new to take its place. What were truly good ideas carried on, what were good ideas for the time but had no right to be valued as high as they were died relatively slowly while maintaining some grade, and those that were heavily invested in for no other reason than because they were on the fabled “internet” crashed and burned like the horrible mistake they were. I think if we were to personify the era of modern technology, I would say that this would be the awkward pre-teen to early teenager phase where the little kid starts to resent the path that was laid before them and will do whatever they can to be as different as possible. Unfortunately the little one will eventually hit a point where they realize that they look positively stupid in their solid black clothing with their mismatched rainbow socks and follow suit with the rest of society while chalking up what they’ve done to themselves as educational.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Three Business Ideas

How I Plan to Price My Service

One Panel at the South Sound Technology Conference